Saturday, February 4, 2012

Libra Moon

April 2009. Pencil.
Libra Moon is a pencil drawing from April in 2009. It was inspired by my "moon" sign as determined by tropical astrology.

The drawing features a beautiful young woman in front of the moon. She walks on the water which is littered with floating flowers. Glowing butterflies flutter around her. In her hands, she carries two sides of a scale filled with flowers. A breeze blows the woman's hair and scales to  the side.

I'm not really sure where the background came from (why is she walking on water?) but I assume I wanted to make the woman seem surreal or magical. It really leaves a lot to be desired, though. The water is very flat looking, and the sky is even more so (it is really difficult to evenly shade dark tones). I can't believe how lumpy and lop sided that moon is. Additionally, the wind should have a greater effect on the woman's clothes.

Despite its flaws, I still enjoy viewing this piece. It is beautiful and mystical; the kind of drawing that makes you wonder.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment