Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grumpy Self Portrait

November 1, 2011. Finished. 
On November 1st, 2011 the class continued working with planes. This time, we worked with drawing faces. After practicing drawing other drawings, we tried drawing a self portrait.

The set up for the drawing was a little strange. We had to draw ourselves in charcoal from a mirror between our legs. The point was to get an unusual angle and to distort proportions. As you can see from my drawing, I didn't like it very much. It was an awkward, uncomfortable angle that made me feel ugly.

At first, I had to work with planes. I looked a lot like a robot. But to finish the drawing I smoothed and rounded everything off. I am actually surprised how much the drawing looks like me, even down to the jacket I always wear, my tired eyes and my lack of visible eyebrows.

By the end of the class, I found out that I did the drawing wrong. I was supposed to keep my face like a robot, not smooth it out. However, I got very good reviews from the class and teacher. They thought it was very realistic and looked like me. I got an A for my effort and a place on the artroom wall.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment