Monday, August 29, 2011

Butterfly's Grace

October, 2010. Pencil.
Butterfly's Grace was drawn in pencil in October 2010 during my Portfolio Development II class. The drawing was a part of my daily sketchbook.

The girl in the drawing is a stylized self portrait using my pseudo realistic style. She stands in a tall grassy field in front of a lake and moon. A butterfly settles on her shoulder, and she gazes serenely at the small beauty.

The inspiration for this sketchbook drawing from a want to draw myself in my own style. Usually, in art classes we have to copy other artist. But I wanted to see how I might look in my own style. Seeing as it was my first attempt and I had no mirror to work with, the girl does not entirely look like me, but I think I captured the essence. She has thin lips, a long face, and my upturned nose. Her eyebrows are crooked and almost non existent, and her hair is long and wavy.

I was pleased with the soft, peaceful atmosphere of the drawing. The background is light but attractive, and the foreground is crisp with details. I believe the butterfly and flowers gave it a nice touch. The only thing I need to work on really, is the clothing and face- mostly the nose and lips.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment