Sunday, July 3, 2011

Art Theft: The Highway to Condemnation

Just today I came across a stolen piece of artwork. This is an fairly usual occurrence for when you're looking at fan art--but this wasn't just any common art theft. Someone actually stole my artwork... and I'm not even that good! In this case, an official art I drew for Pokemon Treasures was stolen, redrawn, and renamed. It's not even the first time it ever happened. Of all things that can possibly make me mad (and I'm not an angry person in any way) art theft is one of the most infuriating of all.

What's this! You look awfully familiar.
I've seen art theft hundreds of times, and as a forum admin I have had to deal with it myself. And you know what? Of all non-harassment crimes on the internet, art theft is the worst.

Most art thieves steal art because they want to make themselves look good. They claim art that isn't theirs so that others will think they are the artist. They are just that desperate for attention. I don't know about you, but I'd be ashamed of myself if I did that-- to go to such a low level and lie and steal to pretend I'm "cool" or "talented." Stealing art just makes you look like an insecure, sneaky loser.

The Real Deal.
The problem with art thieves think that just by "recoloring" or "editing" or "redrawing" an art piece, that it automatically becomes theirs. They think it's okay to use someone else's work "as a base" and claim it as their own. That makes no more sense than painting another's car and calling it your own.Or, art thieves just use these methods to "hide" the true identity of the real work.

Another thing art thieves do is trick people into thinking something they post is theirs, by concealing or being extremely vague about credit, or lying about credit or permission. An art thief can easily say they have permission to "use" artwork, and not have it at all. "hey l00k what i mad! i used a base but i asked permison fist." Yeah. And you got a NO.

Sometimes art thieves "give" to artwork groups in order to "help" them with a project. Then, not only do they get themselves in trouble, they disgrace everyone in the group and the project itself loses its credibility.

Another thing I don't understand with art thieves, is when they post someone else's work and say, "i dnt make this but its kool". I mean, what is up with that? Are we supposed to give you a pat on the back for finding it? Are you suggesting to steal it for ourselves? Are you hoping someone will miss that message and think you made it? If someone tells you not to share their artwork, DONT share it.

Also, the people who steal artwork usually aren't very skilled. They tend to talk in text speak or use horrible grammar. Their "edits" make the original work look like they've been "frankenstiened". Everything is usually pure, eye-boggling colors that you can't stand to look at for more than two seconds. Or it looks like someone drew over it in paint.

This being said, art thieves are usually caught. People can pick up an inconsistency in style, or see the blaring terrible edits. Even the more sneaky thieves can be caught. Even in the whole, seemingly infinite world wide web, art thieves will be discovered and revealed. Each artist has a whole network of friends and fans that look out for each other. When I've seen a stolen art piece, I tell the owner immediately-- and others have done the same for me.

Art theft is an unforgivable crime in world of the web. Everyone will hate you for it. Everyone who's ever known you will be ashamed of ever working with you, talking with you, or even knowing you. Even people you thought your friends will turn their backs to you, and never let you back. At least, that's the only way I've ever seen it go.

So in conclusion:

Tricks of the Art Burglar:
* editing, drawing over, or redrawing an existing art piece
*editing out signatures and watermarks
*stealing, not giving credit, "forgetting" to give credit
*lying about having permisson
*giving stolen work to groups

Reasons for Art Theft:
*pretending to be something their not
*trying to be "cool"
*trying to get attention

Consequnces of Art Theft:
*Ostracization
*Social rejection
*Loss of friends
*Ban from websites, forums, chats
*Wall of Shame
*Loss of dignity


So don't be one! And if you ever catch an art thief, be sure to turn it in.

Tuppinator illustrates the consequences well.

No comments:

Post a Comment