Monday, March 19, 2012

Cedar Waxwings


Bombycilla cedrorum 
The Information
Cedar waxwings are approximately 6–7 in (15–18 cm) long and weigh roughly 30 grams. They are smaller and more brown than their close relative, the Bohemian Waxwing (which breeds farther to the north and west).

These birds' most prominent feature is a small cluster of bright red feathers on the wings, a feature they share with the Bohemian Waxwing (but not the Japanese Waxwing). The tail is typically yellow or orange depending on diet. Birds that have fed on berries of introduced Eurasian honeysuckles while growing tail feathers will have darker orange-tipped tail-feathers. Adults have a pale yellow belly. Immature birds are streaked on the throat and flanks, and often do not have the black mask of the adults.

During courtship the male and female will sit together and pass small objects back and forth, such as flower petals or an insect. Mating pairs will sometimes rub their beaks together affectionately.
The flight of waxwings is strong and direct, and the movement of the flock in flight resembles that of a flock of small pale European Starlings.
-Wikipedia


The Story Behind the Picture
On my way out from my art history course at the University of New Hampshire, I noticed several joyful, twittering birds hopping and flying to and fro on an American Winterberry Tree. There must have been six or seven of them on there at once. It was a great photo opportunity. However, I had other obligations.

I had promised to go hiking with my sister, and so I did. It was a such an usually warm February day. Ordinarily, there would be two or three feet of snow on the ground, and more falling from the sky. Today, there was just about no snow left on the ground except in the shade of the forest.

We hiked out on the UNH capus trails which still had snow here and there. The well worn trails were slushy and muddy with foot-print puddles. The forest too was full of birds, though they were out of reach of my camera. The birds weren't the only living things in the forest, either. I was nearly scared to death when I noticed a troupe of military students practicing their drills.

By the time I arrived back at the winterberry tree where the birds had been, the sun had set and the birds had gone. I was disappointed, but I wasn't going to give up. I kept my eyes on that tree every day since I saw them.

My next chance didn't come until several days later when there was a solar flare, with temperatures reaching the 60s. Once again after art history I found the birds prancing and feasting upon the bright red winter berries. I rushed right to my dorm room to retrieve my camera. My best friend was out of class as well, so she came along for the venture.

To my great joy, the birds were still on the tree when I returned. I managed to get quite close without scaring them off--I was probably within five feet of them. A few other people joined us to take photos as well, and others informed us that the birds were "cedar waxwings." Apparently the birds were not yet in full spring plumage (usually their bellies are more yellow), but I was so entranced by the birds' charm and cuteness that I stayed there taking photos and videos for at least 20 minutes. I made my best friend drag me away so I wouldn't stay longer.





















Photography (c) Maranda L. Scott, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment