Friday, January 6, 2012

Dragons of the Elements - Earth

December 2010. Watercolor and Ink.

The Earth Dragon was painted in December 2010 for my Portfolio Development II class at Kingswood Regional High School. It was my fourth in a series of elemental dragons. It was made using a combination of ink (and pen) and watercolor. To this day, I could not come up with better names for the series.

I planned out my paintings so that they would all be facing center. Fire on the East, Water on the West, Air from the North, and Earth from the South. In the center is Ether, or Spirit.

I first sketched my subject in pencil (lightly) then painted over it in water color. Once the watercolor was fully dried, I went over it in pen and ink.

I didn't paint the eyes because I thought it looked better (cooler) without pupils. It draws more attention and makes the dragon look more fierce. Later, I actually tried adding pupils--but it didn't come out very well.

This dragon is perhaps my least favorite out of the five. It was difficult to make good, rocky skin texture. I also ran out of the nice brown shade from the head, do the body doesn't completely match. Some patches in the ground are not colored, either.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment