Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Light in the Forest

December 2nd, 2011. Charcoal. Finished. 
Light in the Forest is a charcoal drawing drawn on November 2nd, 2011 for ARTS 532 Introductory Drawing. It was completed as a homework assignment. It took approximately an hour to complete.

Because it was so incredibly cold, I did not sit outside and draw. I took a series of photos outdoors at night then chose my favorite for drawing.

The photograph was taken out on the small trails on the UNH Campus. A few changes were made with artistic license--I removed one light source (another lamp, that would have been up the trail). The person in the picture is based on my friend Katelyn Sampson. However, I did not aim to make it look exactly like her.

I am pretty pleased with the result of my work. The trees on the left have good depth. The right do not have as much, because I accidentally smudged a lot of it. I believe the high contrast helps make this a strong piece.

The drawing was temporally hung in the halls of the Paul Creative Arts Center at UNH Durham.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment