During my senior year in high school I took a class called "Clothing & Textiles." I have to say it was one of my most favorite classes from all of high school. Previously in middle school I had taken a class called "Family and Consumer Sciences," which had a portion of class on sewing. I remember being nearly scared to death of sewing my fingers. I nearly had a heart attack every time I tried to sew, because the machine zoomed off like how a new driver floors the gas pedal.
I would recommend everyone, male or female, to learn to sew. It is not only an incredibly useful skill, but it also is a fun, yet relaxing, hobby. It is fairly easy to learn and the possibilities of what you could make are endless.
This first horrible little sewing pouch is my third sewn creation. My first and second I have no pictures of, but they were a sock/bag dispenser and a candy pull string pouch. I lost the candy pouch, the the bag dispenser is still dispensing bags today.
When creating the pink and brown pouch, I didn't completely follow the directions. I meant to, but then I messed up and just kept going with it. In a few areas I didn't cut the iron-on fabric (which I can't quite remember the name of) correctly and it still shows up. However, the pouch is fully functional right down to the button, and it only took two class periods to make.
I made this cute little bag right in the time for Easter. I love the fabric choices but I am not overly fond of the design. It was a mandatory project however, so I made it anyway. The design is fairly easy and simple. It had a deep pouch and a pocket on one side. The interior pocket has the blue star pattern to match the large interior. It took two class periods to make.
This wallet was very easy and simple. It has two pockets and Velcro to keep shut, and had a decorative button. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to fold it out the right way, (and that wasn't hard). It took two class periods to make.

I made this wallet in one class period for the final exam. It is easier to make than the first wallet, but it has more pockets. It also has a decorative button and Velcro to keep it shut.
I made this bag in three class periods. I took longer not because it was much more difficult, but simply because it was much larger than any of my other projects.The most difficult part of the project was cutting everything out evenly and sewing it together so the the top bad matches on both sides. I thought the fabric was adorable.
(c) Maranda L. Scott
(c) Maranda L. Scott








No comments:
Post a Comment