Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Marandalisa

2009. Pencil.
The Marandalisa is a self portrait done in the year 2009 for my Advanced Drawing class at Kingswood Regional High School. The assignment involved drawing a self portrait in the style of famous artist and then imitating their style in painting. This is my first draft for the painting.

People have frequently called me a "classic beauty" and so, I went with an artist known for drawing classical beauties.

My chosen artist was Da Vinci, and so I drew myself in a pose similar to the Mona Lisa. I included a relaxing background with a lake waterscape and mountains.

The drawing received neutral feedback- it was satisfactory. I was not very pleased with it myself (I've never liked doing self portraits) but it was certainly an improvement from my previous self portrait drawing. Although the nose was shaded wrong, and the lips are much too flat and thin, I liked the soft, gentle expression I was able to achieve.

(c) Maranda L. Scott

1 comment:

  1. Self-portraits are a challenge! I love one that I did of myself...but a year-or-two later I did one that was awful! I think there are scale issues in this one..it's like your face is divided in half, with one side a little larger than the other. Also your head is one scale, and your neck and shoulders another...Keep going! I would love to do your portrait sometime!

    ReplyDelete